17 Mar The benefits of Hydrotherapy
Hydrotherapy, or Aquatic therapy, refers to a specific form of exercise treatment in a heated pool. The warmth and buoyancy of the water can help to reduce muscle spasm, increase circulation and reduce pain. It is particularly beneficial for those people who suffer from injuries or musculoskeletal conditions that are easily aggravated by weight-bearing or land based exercises. By reducing the risk of pain aggravation, clients are confidently able to improve their strength, flexibility, postural control and mobility.
Pool-based hydrotherapy may offer a successful treatment medium for individuals who otherwise have poor tolerance of land-based exercise. The goal is to have these therapeutic successes in water carryover to land-based intervention, using hydrotherapy programs to progress to land based exercise and rehabilitation programs.
- Encourage muscle relaxation, and reduces spasticity
- Pain management and reduction
- Buoyancy of water counters the effects of gravity
- Increased muscle strength and function
- Reduce swelling and edema
- Improved balance and coordination
- Improve stress tolerances and encouraging sleep
- Increase joint range of motion
- Improve cardiopulmary function
What conditions will benefit from Hydrotherapy?
Some of the many conditions include:
- Back pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Cerebral Palsy
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Pre-operative strengthening for joint replacement
- Post-operative rehabilitation for joint replacement, fractures or tendon repair
- Balance and coordination problems
- Shoulder pain
- Knee pain
- Sports injuries
- Spinal cord injury
The benefits of aquatic based exercise should not be under estimated in achieving pain relief combined with joint mobility and strength to improve your function and overall quality of life.
Medicine in Motion offer Hydrotherapy in a number of locations on the South Coast, fully supervised by our Accredited Exercise Physiologists. Medicare and Private Health fund rebates may be available for eligible patients. For further information, or to make an appointment, contact us on 0433637934.
Pictures: Our client, Terry Smith who is completing his rehabilitation with Hydrotherapy following a total knee replacement.